Psycopg - PostgreSQL database adapter for Python - Psycopg documentation
Psycopg is the most popular PostgreSQL database adapter for the Python programming language. Its main features are the complete implementation of the Python DB API 2.0 specification and the thread safety (several threads can share the same connection). It was designed for heavily multi-threaded applications that create and destroy lots of cursors and make a large number of concurrent INSERT s or UPDATE s.
Psycopg 2 is mostly implemented in C as a libpq wrapper, resulting in being both efficient and secure. It features client-side and server-side cursors, asynchronous communication and notifications , COPY support. Many Python types are supported out-of-the-box and adapted to matching PostgreSQL data types ; adaptation can be extended and customized thanks to a flexible objects adaptation system .
Psycopg 2 is both Unicode and Python 3 friendly.
- Basic module usage
- The psycopg2 module content
- The connection class
- The cursor class
- More advanced topics
- psycopg2.extensions - Extensions to the DB API
- psycopg2.extras - Miscellaneous goodies for Psycopg 2
- psycopg2.errors - Exception classes mapping PostgreSQL errors
- psycopg2.sql - SQL string composition
- psycopg2.tz - tzinfo implementations for Psycopg 2
- psycopg2.pool - Connections pooling
- psycopg2.errorcodes - Error codes defined by PostgreSQL
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Release notes
Indices and tables